Braised Pork Jowl with Persimmon Gravy
- Trim the fat off of 1/2 to 1 pound of pork cheek until the majority of its fat is removed, then salt.
- Heat up an enamel coated dutch oven or another pan with plenty of high heat oil.
- Brown all sides of the pork cheek and set aside discard leftover oil.
- Add roughly 1 T of butter into the Dutch oven or whatever pan you are using and over medium heat brown shallots, celery, and garlic.
- Once browned, deglaze with 2 c of dry white wine, scrape the residual fond.
- Place the browned pork cheek back in with the wine mixture, and add two skinless Fuyu persimmons.
- Cover Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid and cook in a 250F oven for 3 hours, if you are not using a Dutch oven, transfer everything to a lidded oven safe pot or other braising cookware.
- Once again remove the pork cheeks from the Dutch oven and set aside.
- Transfer the braising liquid into a blender and blend until smooth, transfer back to the Dutch oven. Add 1 T of sugar and adjust seasonings if necessary, and reduce on the stove top over medium-high heat.
- Once thickened to a gravy-like consistency remove from the heat.
- Serve pork cheek with a side dish(es), and top with persimmon gravy.